Saturday, May 6, 2017

Book Review: 2DEE by Robin Wyatt Dunn

Hey guys, sorry I couldn't post yesterday. I'm having some major power outage problems at home. Luckily, no power means time to read for me. 

Onto why we're here:



2DEE by Robin Wyatt Dunn

Release date: June 14th 2017
Publisher: John Ott
Source: LibraryThing
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

Summary

From Goodreads:

The population of Los Angeles has vanished. John Dee has to find out why. With the help of his AI son, he journeys between dimensions, undergoes radical body modifications, topples extrasolar governments, and hunts his lost love, all without a clear idea of who he is. To rescue his city, and himself, he must confront both the cruelty of the universe he finds himself in, and his own interior darkness.

Review

I requested this book in March and only got around to reading it last week. Unfortunately, it was not what I was expecting at all.

I was drawn into it by the idea of reading dystopic/post-apocalyptic book whose main characters are a father and son. What I got instead was a city as a main character, an annoying adult, and a kid who barely appeared.

Honestly, I couldn't get past the first 100 pages. But from what I've gathered of other reviews, the rest of it is still as weird and incoherent. 

My main issue with it is the writing style. It's a mix of stream of consciousness with something else I can't describe. It was too jumpy for my liking. 

It is, apparently, a second book in a duology or trilogy. I don't really know. But you wouldn't be able to tell from the way this one starts. I don't think reading the first one would have made much difference. Maybe I wouldn't have been so lost with certain characters. But that's it.

The plot is all-over the place, and I just felt it was rushed for no reason. 

I gave it 2 stars because, as I've said, the writing style is my main issue and that's totally personal. Otherwise, it would have been a 1 or 1 and a half book. 


Rating


2 out of 5 stars
I normally am not so blunt with reviews because I don't like dis-encouraging people from reading it, but I just can't say anything nice about this one.

Do you enjoy reading stream of consciousness? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment