Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Top 5 Wednesday

Hello there and happy Wednesday! There's nothing happy about it cause my classes started again this week and I'm already dead. Since I didn't really feel like thinking of a blog post on my own, I decided to join Top 5 Wednesday! Their topics sound super fun so you should check them out.



This week's topic is: Books You Felt Betrayed By

1) Scoring Wilder/The Summer Games by R S Grey

I want to start off with both a book betrayal and an author betrayal. Story time: I had been eyeing Scoring Wilder by R.S. Grey for years, until one day I decided to pick it up. I read through it in like a day. It was aca-amazing! It was one of, if not THE best new adult book I've ever read. It's filled with humor, amazing characters and romance, of course.


Naturally, I decided to check out some other novels by the same author. This is where Settling the Score (The Summer Games #1) enters my life. I was so disappointed by this book. It had none of the elements from Scoring Wilder, even though it revolves around some of the same characters. It even seemed that the characters they had in common weren't the same people (if that makes sense). I didn't like any of the new characters, they seemed to always play the victim which I HATE. 


I'm still not ready to give up on the author. If you have any good recommendations please let me know. 😊  

2) The Remnant Chronicles by Mary E. Pearson

This book has a fantastic betrayal I can't speak much about. Let me just tell you that nothing is as it seems. You'll think you know what's going on but, trust me, you won't. 

I'll just leave the summary here: 
The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.
Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love.
Check it out!

3) Empire of Storms by Sarah J Maas

If you have read at least 1 of my other posts, then you'll know how much I love Sarah J. Maas. If not, then: I LOVE HER. 
Her books keep getting more heart-breaking and I don't know how she manages to do so! The ending in Empire of Storm just took the life out of me. The betrayal element here is not only to her readers, who keep getting punched in the heart, but also to her poor characters who are the ones in pain and constant suffering. They just can't seem to find peace after all they've been through. I'm so ready for them to live happily ever after. 


4) Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

I'm not going to rant here, because I already did so in my review. I started this book with such high expectations, and my naive brain though they would be true. Obviously, they weren't. Let's just say that none of the "promised" things in the summary happened. I'm super mad about that but at least I won't have high hopes for the sequel. The sun always comes out after the rain. Okay, back to my usual brooding self.



5) Beastly by Alex Flinn

I love Beauty and the Beast retellings, like most people. This book just didn't make it for me. So far, I only detected two problems in it to blame: 1) The writing. I'm sorry but I didn't think it was good. 2) I saw the movie first. Everyone and their mother has seen this movie because it's really sweet, surreal, but sweet. 
I'm sorry to say that the author's writing style made me want to not read anything else by her. Has she written anything worth-checking lately?



Well, there you have it! I tried to pick different reasons and sides to the betrayal theme. Hope you enjoyed it!

I want to thank Sam and Lainey for all their work in Top 5 Wednesday!


Isn't this fun? I loved the topic! Let me know your thoughts in the comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment